Please visit us at our brand new home!

















Wednesday, November 26

808's & Heartbreak Album Review



Kanye West has hit us with another album inviting us into the artist's mind & heart. His 4th album, 808's & Heartbreak uses TR-808-generated drumming & the effect of auto tune. A lot of people have given Kanye some shit for singing & using the auto-tune, but Kanye told Fader mag "I'm using auto-tune because I don't give a fuck. I like the way it sounds."
Before listening to the album, I wondered if at this level of success, does Kanye West really not give a fuck anymore?

Jump to read my discovery, the reason behind this 6 rating, pics, read why Sex gives it a 7 & listen to a track.



When I first heard Kanye singing on his Love Lockdown track (the 1st single off the album), I was extremely hype to see our big brother switching it up on ma' fuckers. However, after a few more songs off the album leaked, although I love them all, I was worried Kanye's heartbreak would give me a headache.
Kanye West has been through a lot in the past year, loosing his mother, breaking up with his fiance, & endless media drama. All of Kanye's albums have reflected what he was going through at the time of recording, so it only made clear sense why this album was all about heartbreak.

Say You Will is the first track on the album, and one of the most beautiful. The slow beat creeps into your body & his voice singing "hey hey hey hey" puts you in a place only you can go. It's one of those tracks you love to listen to alone.

The album features artists like new commer Kid Cudi singing the chorus on Welcome to Heartbreak, where Yeezy shows some life frustration. *side note, big-ups to Kid Cudi for being 1 of the 4 Kanye chose to bless his album. You all already heard Young Jeezy on Amazing, Mr. Hudson is on the upbeat track, Paranoid, & Lil' Wayne does a verse on the grimey track, See You in My Nightmares.

Robocop might be my favorite on the album, since he sings to me, on repeat, You're just an Ellegurl. Ok he's actually singing "You're just an LA girl." Same shit though, lol.
Streetlights, Bad News, & Coldest Winter all reflect Kanye's deep feelings about growth, his ex, & his beloved mother.
The surprise on the album is a 12th track of his live freestyle Pinocchio Story.

Overall, Kanye shows us he's still growing as an artist as well as a person.
I think using effects on a voice is whack if you're new, but for Kanye, it's creative. I respect Kanye for constantly taking chances & never allowing anyone to place him in a box.
However, I was a little disappointed by the album's length. I thought 11 tracks, really it felt like 5 tracks, with all the leaks, was too too short. Sometimes I worry that artists get too big for themselves that they really start to not give a fuck & the fans get the short end of the stick. I don't think this is the case for Kanye...at least not yet. He really poured his heart out in this album & there isn't one track I don't enjoy. I gave the album a 6 just because I didn't get many surprises. The album is as great as I expected it to be. I never expect anything less than greatness from Mr. West I think Graduation will always be my personal favorite from Kanye, but 808's and Heartbreak shouldn't be compared to any of Kanye's other work, because it's nothing like any of Kanye's other work. The album is 100% Kanye West, it's just another him to love.

808's & Heartbreak's art is really just what you saw in the promo pic, Kanye rockin' a beautiful grey plaid suit, black sunglasses, & a broken heart brooch.
The booklet contains the songs' lyrics & there are no thank you's, just track credits.
The album's artwork is simply pastel colored stripes coming from his heart.
The limited edition album comes with a poster of Mr. West on 1 side and a beautiful surprise picture on the other side.








Sex says:



I'm gonna go out on a limb right now and say THIS IS THE BEST FUCKING ALBUM IN THE WORLD!!!. Skipping my first class was damn well worth it for this album. Ever since i first heard Kanye sing on this random song called *IMPROVISE* I said to myself.."I never heard him sing,fuck i hope he keeps singing". This album is great, it's not so monotonous such as other rap albums with 16 tracks full of useless garbage and having people pay $10 for 2 good songs. Kanye keeps listeners elicit in only 12 tracks(12 including a live bonus track). Kanye opens up the album beautifully with his song *SAY YOU WILL* which is perfectly composed with the instruments in the song playing as the sound of a heartbeat on a respirator in a hospital. In his song *HEARTLESS* Kanye brings out some of his classic rapper side but still sings throughout the song which blends perfectly. Also Kanye gives us a little preview of new G.O.O.D MUSIC artist MR.HUDSON In his song PARANOID. The structure and sound of 808's is similar to Andre 3000's THE LOVE BELOW, But is still original. Overall I rated This album a 7 because of all of the variety of the whole album, also because I can relate to some of the situations discussed in the album.

CURRENTLY MY FAVORITE SONG- STREET LIGHTS
-Street Lights - Kanye West

KEY:
**-CLICK TO DOWNLOAD SONG


ALBUM CURRENTLY IN STORES!!!

KANYES BLOG
YOU CAN ALSO BUY THE ALBUM ON KANYE'S BLOG

2 comments:

A-LI$T said...

kanye is the man.. most of the time

Anonymous said...

THIS ALBUM IS THE ISH REGARDLESS OF THE GLOOMING TRACKS.
IM DIGGIN IT MORE AND MORE EVERYDAY.

www.21-7Magazine.com We'll be back soon. Can't fucking wait :)

Dig it? Click it!